Via VT8237A kernel support

Jay Cliburn jacliburn at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 30 14:26:19 UTC 2006

For reasons I cannot fathom -- and because the cognizant gatekeepers at
LKML won't respond to pleas for feedback -- these two simple patches,
which add PATA and SATA support for the VIA VT8237A Southbridge chip now
found on certain new motherboards, have not been applied (or acked or
nacked or anything else).

PATA:  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=115513979609546&w=2

SATA:  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=115552504713314&w=2

I know for a fact the the SATA patch works; I wrote it and I've been
using it for weeks.  I've read the PATA patch works, too, but I haven't
personally tried it (although I'd be willing to try if it helps).

I don't want to waste anyone's time by filing a Fedora bugzilla that
will never be implemented, so if I do, what are the prospects for
getting these patches into the Fedora development tree until such time
as they're applied upstream (if ever)?

Maybe my expectations are too high.  For the kerneldev-savvy readers,
what is the typical gestation period for upstream patches of this type?

Thanks,
Jay