readonly-root with a non-readonly-root

Paul B Schroeder pschroeder at uplogix.com
Thu Aug 31 04:08:07 UTC 2006

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit currently gets the relies on getting $READONLY from
/etc/sysconfig/readonly-root.  It uses this to determine whether or not to call
/etc/rc.readonly and whether or not to remount the root filesystem in read-write
mode.

In some instances (think flash based filesystem), it would be desireable to run
the rc.readonly script (we don't want to burn up the flash), but still have the
root filesystem in read-write mode (we still want to be able to do some
filesystem editing).  Maybe rc.sysinit could check two separate variables to
control this?

$EXEC_RC_READONLY or whatever you would want to call it, could be used by
rc.sysinit to determine whether or not to exec rc.readonly.  And $READONLY could
still be used to determine whether or not to remount root read-write.

Thoughts?

Cheers...Paul...

--
---

Paul B Schroeder <pschroeder "at" uplogix "dot" com>