openmotif to be removed from Fedora October 2, 2006

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Aug 31 17:54:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 19:12 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> I disagree with that timeline. That's not very nice for Motif library
> users. Doing such a change without previous notice, with openmotif
> and lesstif being available at the same time for only one month
> and only in devel seems wrong to me. It is well known that lesstif
> has has issues openmotif don't have, and that many users use the
> motif library internally.
>
> In my opinion it would have been much better to ship openmotif
> during FC6. The -devel packages conflict but the packages with libs
> don't, so it would have been much easier for users to sort issues
> out.

We can't in good concience continue to ship a package that doesn't meet
our licensing requirements.  "Because its useful" isn't a good enough
reason.  We've been talking about the audit and blogging about it and
etc.. for a while now, we're sorry if you haven't been paying attention.
It needs to happen and it WILL happen.  We're giving some leeway by not
nuking it immediately.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora