Leaving? (cont'd)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Aug 1 00:29:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 19:32 +0530, Rahul wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>

> > Well, apparently some people seem prefer "max. freedom" combined with
> > "complex bureaucratic rules", instead of "restricted freedom" with
> > "simple rules.
>
> A combination of max freedom and complex bureaucratic rules seems rather
> self contradictory.
It only appears so: When you try to write up "max. freedom" into
"rules", you end up in long series of precedences and exceptions, i.e.
in a complex "law" system.

>  From my experience, the former rule doesn't work in
> > community projects such as Fedora. Unfortunately, there seems to be
> > pretty large groups of people who don't share this opinion.
>
> Well a community doesnt mean that people will obey whatever others tell
> them. It just means that they will tend listen esp to people who do
> similar work and very well might decide thats not the best way.
Yes. But ... "community" also implies to be able to "compromise".

Such is everyday life - Even if you'd prefer to run around naked,
conventions are not to do so in most parts of the world. In Fedora,
however, you can set up whatever %buildroot, CFLAGS and %release-tags,
causing arbitrary side-effects on user systems.

>  If
> someone's choice doesnt match with the rest of the people doing the
> work, we just have to get along.
No, if something doesn't suffice, it's a bug. We would have to change
the "guidelines"/"conventions", then.

Ralf