Re: What is weak-modules?

Matthias Saou wrote:
Hi,

I saw this in the output of a "yum update" for the first time today :

  Installing: kernel                #####################[ 57/128]
**** weak-modules did not process this kernel ****
weak-updates links not updated for 2.6.17-1.2488.fc6
Please run /sbin/weak-modules --add-kernel `uname -r`
in order to update kernel module compatibility links.

That weak-modules utility is part of module-init-tools, but there is no
man page nor documentation about it in the package. Actually, the
package doesn't even contain a copy of the GPL, which seems like
another issue.

Anyway, back to the weak-modules. Looks like it's because of
yesterday's changes with "Warn rather than exit if we can't process
weak-updates on new kernel", as the %changelog seems to indicate that
it has been there since June.

Looks like a Fedora/RH specific addition. What is it useful for?

Looks related to http://www.kerneldrivers.org/KernelDrivers.org. Framework for kernel module packages.

Rahul