Re: acpi

Lamont R. Peterson wrote:

I would love to see battery life with Fedora right up there with the other Linux & BSD systems. I don't know what to try, either. So far, I've just resigned myself to the fate that battery life is just going to be shorter with Fedora.

Just an idea -- on this laptop at least the ACPI reports the current being drawn from the battery with good resolution, eg, when plugged in and charged

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          charged
present rate:            0 mA
remaining capacity:      4500 mAh
present voltage:         12493 mV

and when running from Battery

present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          discharging
present rate:            1283 mA  <--------
remaining capacity:      4500 mAh
present voltage:         12338 mV

The "present rate" value is very sensitive to backlight level, HDD on or off, USB stuff plugged in, CPU load and so on. I have this hooked up to the KDE "System Guard" telemetry displays in the kicker.

At least this allows you to put a number on exactly how much worse Fedora does than another distro you can run on the same laptop, and to objectively determine any improvement from evasive actions.

-Andy