Fedora's Userfiendliness (was Re: Leaving?)

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Aug 2 16:50:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 12:46 -0400, Sean wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:10:04 +0200
> Chris Chabot <chabotc at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> > An interesting editorial on this topic, that might sum up some of the
> > feelings that some people have been feeling:
> >
> > http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/editorial_13
> >
> > Slashdot discussion on this:
> > http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/02/0238233
> > Digg discussion:
> > http://digg.com/linux_unix/Why_Red_Hat_will_go_bust_because_of_Ubuntu
> >
> > All of this isn't necessarily to be taken as gospel, however  it does
> > illustrate well the point some of 'us' have been trying to make .. lets
> > not forget about the users! :-)
>
> Agreed, let us not forget about the open source users.  Let's not let the
> people who want to use binary-only proprietary extension spoil the
> distribution for those that don't.  On top of which, the first article
> you cite seems to indicate that the niche you're worried about is
> already nicely filled by Ubuntu.  There doesn't seem to be much
> reason for Fedora to become just another Ubuntu.

I know I'm not the typical user - but I got involved with fedora and
with linux in general b/c of open source.

I don't want to work on a distribution that isn't sticking to those
ideals.

The only two distros I can think of that follow that extremely closely
are fedora and debian.

ubuntu is definitely not one of them.

Thank you for making this point.

-sv