Re: Driver disk questions

Jay Cliburn wrote:
On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 08:38:28AM +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
However, it is possible to manually load the driver if all you have is
the .ko file. See for example:

http://www.keffective.com/mvsata/

Thanks for this. I ran across it early in my information search, but I didn't realize its significance until just now with your comment. I'll try this method this evening when I get home.

The method in the referenced link works, at least for me. I had to copy libata.ko and sata_via.ko to a floppy, then follow the procedure in the link and modprobe libata and sata_via from the floppy. This enabled the kernel to see my sata drive long enough to install FC5. (Also tried it with FC6T2 and it worked.)

Unfortunately, on the reboot following installation I encountered a kernel panic very early on when /dev/VolGroup00 couldn't be found. This happened for both FC5 and FC6T2.

At least, however, I was able to verify that my sata_via patch does in fact cause the vt8237a controller to be recognized by the kernel, so I submitted the patch to linux-scsi vger kernel org
Thanks again for the tip, Paul.

Jay