Dependencies a little excessive?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Aug 10 15:41:41 UTC 2006

On Thursday 10 August 2006 11:33, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Stymied, or required to do a bit of extra typing? 'Cause I'm pretty sure
> the case where you want to install both archs *should* be the one where
> extra typing is required. So, "yum install foo.*" (shades of DOS). Or, if
> it needs to be "yum install foo.x86_64 foo.i386" (or "foo foo.i386"), is
> that really so bad?

it is when we want to provide a multilib environment when folks shouldn't have
to think about it.  Our users should have to jump through hoops when they
want to run some 32bit app.  It should Just Work.  That's IMHO a big reason
why we are installing both arches by default.  The folks that really CARE
about being pure lib are the ones that would have the ability to fiddle with
some bits in a yumconf file.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora