Dependencies a little excessive?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Aug 10 18:48:31 UTC 2006

> On Thursday 10 August 2006 11:33, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > Stymied, or required to do a bit of extra typing? 'Cause I'm pretty sure
> > the case where you want to install both archs *should* be the one where
> > extra typing is required. So, "yum install foo.*" (shades of DOS). Or, if
> > it needs to be "yum install foo.x86_64 foo.i386" (or "foo foo.i386"), is
> > that really so bad?
>
> it is when we want to provide a multilib environment when folks shouldn't have
> to think about it.  Our users should have to jump through hoops when they
> want to run some 32bit app.  It should Just Work.  That's IMHO a big reason
> why we are installing both arches by default.  The folks that really CARE
> about being pure lib are the ones that would have the ability to fiddle with
> some bits in a yumconf file.

So why aren't we doing "everything" installs by default because somebody
might have a piece of software that doesn't "just work" otherwise? I
just don't buy that argument.

Yum is perfectly capable of pulling in just the 32bit version of a
library if you install a 32bit package. If we're talking about tarballs
with binaries within.. all bets are off anyway, although it wouldn't be
hard to write a script to resolve and install the needed libs of
binaries in /opt/somesoftware path.

No, I don't like the behavior of installing both arches by default. :)

	- Panu -