some closure on the xorg updates issue

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Fri Aug 11 14:37:29 UTC 2006

Dnia 11-08-2006, pią o godzinie 16:13 +0200, David Nielsen napisał(a):
> The good news is that Intel started working with us
Oh really? Haven't you heard Intel's IP is one of the reasons that
nVidia can't release the source for their driver? If that's the case, to
"work with us" they have to give nVidia and AMD the written permission
to open source their code with Intel IP.

> AMD/ATI are talking
> about releasing free drivers for at least a subset of their products.
URL? If you're talking about
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/08/02/32OPcurve_1.html that
everybody is citing everywhere, it's speculation (they are "considering"
- nice PR try) and in many peoples opinion it's talking about subset of
driver functions, not products (like whole driver). It means the best
thing we're going to get is free 2D driver (as "nv" is subset of
"nvidia" driver functionality).

Nothing to see here at this point.

Lam