Wither Bling?

Shahms King shahms at shahms.com
Fri Aug 11 14:50:52 UTC 2006

Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 16:53 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Thomas J. Baker (tjb at unh.edu) said:
>>> So what's the thinking on fc6 bling? Why was composite compiled out of
>>> metacity as opposed to just using the gconf key? Is it going to be
>>> compiz for bling and metacity for no bling? (That's a sad christmas for
>>> me because compiz is too buggy compared to metacity on my ATI R250
>>> laptop).
>> Yes, that's the plan going forward.
>>
>> Bill
>>

> So when you say going forward, do you mean for the fc6 time frame, or is
> the composite manager going to be dropped from metacity?
>
> Compiz has spectacular bling but lacks certain basic window manager
> features (like toggleable vertical and horizontal maximize) that I had
> in sawfish, lost in metacity for a while but just got back in fc5, and
> now will lose again in compiz. Metacity has good bling and solid window
> manager functions (and a killer close window animation.)

This is simply not true.  Both metacity and compiz have toggleable
horizontal and vertical maximize, you just have to set the keybindings.
 Metacity has had it since before FC5, although I'm not sure exactly
when.  Enabling it in compiz requires manually setting a gconf entry to
the desired keybinding, but it is definitely there. Set the keys:

/apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/toggle_window_maximized_key
/apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/toggle_window_maximized_vertically_key
/apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/toggle_window_maximized_horizontally_key

> So if I have to rebuild metacity myself, how do I re-enable compositing?
> I looked at the spec and I can't see where it explicitly disables it and
> the configure script seems to assume that it's on (only
> --disable-composite seems to be valid.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> tjb

- --
Shahms E. King <shahms at shahms.com>
Multnomah ESD

Public Key:
http://shahms.mesd.k12.or.us/~sking/shahms.asc
Fingerprint:
1612 054B CE92 8770 F1EA  AB1B FEAB 3636 45B2 D75B