some closure on the xorg updates issue

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 11 16:31:21 UTC 2006

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 20:33 +0530, Rahul wrote:
>> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you for reframing the question in a light that many of the rest of
>>> us are seeing as well!
>>>
>>> Put yet another way, upgrading X.org isn't about punishing vendors of
>>> proprietary drivers, it's about _rewarding_ vendors of open source
>>> drivers.
>>>
>>> If you were the owner of a company that had just announced plans to open
>>> source your drivers, would you feel you had made the right decision if a
>>> major linux distribution announced it was planning not to release the
>>> software that enabled your driver to run because there were still
>>> vendors who hadn't open sourced their drivers?  Where's the creme
>>> filling?
>> Fortunately we arent announcing anything like that. We are just
>> announcing that we would wait for the next release before we provide
>> this major update.
>
> Thank you for letting me know my wording was ambiguous.
>
> If you were the owner of a company that had just announced plans to open
> source your drivers, would you feel you had made the right decision if a
> major linux distribution announced it had changed its mind about
> releasing the software that enabled your driver to run and delayed its
> shipment for two months *because* there were still vendors whose
> proprietary drivers were not updated?

Yes. Many of them would. We do tell vendors and partners that we cant
introduce a new feature as a update and they would have to wait till the
next release or the one after that.

> Even better, since Mike Harris made the original announcement that FC5
> was going to have Xorg-7.1 [1]_, let him make the announcement that he
> decided that 7.1 was going to be too problematic.  He's used to being
> the bearer of bad news ;-)

Mike Harris doesnt work for Red Hat anymore though he expressed interest
  in continuing to participate in Fedora.  Adam Jackson is the current
maintainer and I believe he has already expressed his decision.

Rahul