XChat upgrade

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Sun Aug 13 02:21:46 UTC 2006

On Saturday 12 August 2006 12:02pm, Rahul wrote:
> Lamont R. Peterson wrote:
> > On Friday 11 August 2006 10:53pm, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've heard nothing from this, so I assume no one is working on this.
> >> Unless told otherwise I'll take a stab at this coming monday.
> >
> > XChat on FC5 has become quite unstable for me that I've switched to
> > Konversation.  I haven't tried XChat in FC6T?.  Are the newer versions
> > more stable or what?
>
> Xchat on FC5 is what I use daily and it isnt unstable for me. Any bug
> reports on the problem you are referring to?

Nope.

I "fixed" the instability with:
# rpm -e xchat
# yum install konversation

Normally, I would have taken some time to try to find some useful info towards
fixing this, however, in this case it kept crashing while I was in the middle
of some IRC meetings and I didn't have time to deal with it.

The instability had gotten steadily worse with each errata.  It was
segfaulting without warning at random points.  I never figured out how to
cause the segfault.  Don't you just hate that kind of bug?

If I get some time (it'll be about 3 weeks before that's possible), I'll
reinstall xchat and try to get a dump of it's death.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor