The bug squad is hiring!

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Aug 15 17:11:11 UTC 2006

Rahul wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've been thinking about this some more and although I still firmly
>> believe in the basic ideas behind this (taping into the community to
>> help fix high impact / annoying bugs), I don't feel like pulling the
>> kart / spearheading the effort. so I won't be adding something to the
>> wiki, mainly because I have the feeling it won't be used much as the
>> response to this thread sofar has been minimal.
>>
>> Maybe I also have been going the wrong way, because I believe that in
>> order for the community to help fix bugs, the package maintainer who
>> could use / wants / needs the communities help should get involved.
>> Maybe he should not only be involved but he should be taking the
>> initiative to ask the community for help, that way the volunteers have
>> guarantees that their work will get integrated. Currently my experience
>> with this has been a bit frustrating. In order to be able to help in
>> many cases I will need some pointers (general direction) where to look.
>> And sofar replies to requests for such general directions have been
>> absent.
>
> If there was any questions, I left unanswered let me know.

No it wasn't you the "problems" were:
-lack of response from the maintainer / assignee in BZ tickets on
  which I was working
-Lack of fellow volunteers so that this could be a real team / group
  effort (Thanks for the offer Dennis).

>> In the one case where I did manage to locate and fix a bug after a
>> couple of hours of debugging, the fix for this hasn't been integrated
>> yet (its a very simple 1 line fix which is obviously correct).
>>
>> So to make a long story short I will still be trying to help out by
>> cherry picking some bugs and trying to fix this, but I hereby cease any
>> activities to try and create a coordinated community bug squashing
>> effort.
>>
>> Still any Core developers overwelmed with bugs who need a hand feel free
>> to ask me, and I think / guess you should feel free to ask the community
>> in general, that might be the better way to get the community involved
>> in helping with the enormous amount of bugs (of much varying severity).
>>

> I would agree that we need a few more people involved in the effort and
> the results can be less than rewarding on many occasions. Maybe Will
> Woods can lead this effort.

Maybe, I'm always willing to help out with something like this and
you've got my email :)

Regards,

Hans