Re: Attention kernel module project packagers!

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 10:08:11AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> I still don't buy this argument.  kmod and kmdls both fail in the same way
> without further ugly ass hacks to rpm or depsolvers.

kmdl does not need any patch to rpm, while kmod does not work with rpm.

> I don't buy that kmod makes it impossible to boot older kernels,
> that's just not the case.  I think you're falling for somebody's
> FUD.

Read it differently: kmod can only support one kernel.

Either old kernel modules get nuked or they don't get (security)
updates, in the latter case you can boot into the old kernel, of
course. That's no FUD that's outlined in the wiki. And trying to fix
this open a further can of bugs.

kmdls definitely have benefits. All kernels, no matter how old in the
queue will get the module updates (if the kernel is still supported in
the buildsystem, of course).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net