Re: Attention kernel module project packagers!

2006/8/17, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai laiskiainen org>:
> It's the same story: Parallel installation.

Indeed - and to be exact: safely upgradable parallel installation.

We have for example libpng-1.2.8 and libpng10-1.0.18 in FC5. Rpm would
allow installing them parallerly if they were just libpng-1.2.8 and
libpng-1.0.18 so why do we rename it? To allow them to be upgraded
separately, an alleged 'rpm -Uvh libpng-1.2.9' would remove both versions.

I haven't seen anybody arguing we should drop those compat packages and
rely on yum plugin to deal with situations like the above correctly... so
why are kernel modules any different?

        - Panu -

Because they name it by hand, not by macros, thus is much more
reliable. I don't believe in  robots either. And a proper name is an
artwork.

--
bbbush ^_^