Re: SSHd

On 8/19/06, Matthew Miller <mattdm mattdm org> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 09:23:19PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > > Possibly. Perhaps the default config should be
> > > "PermitRootLogin=without-password", which would allow logins via
> > > public key but not using password authentication.
> > +1
> +2

There are no currently-open bugs on this (unless I overlooked one), but
there's several closed-wontfix ones, starting with bug #22930 (against Red
Hat Linux 7.1) and then #89216 (alias DisallowRoot) up through the other
week's logwatch suggestion.

I'm inclined to reopen #89216 with this suggestion, since it has the fancy
alias and since it's filed against devel already. Yeah?

I second that, however I would suggest going further and having
somethign denyhosts like in place or are we going with the assumption
that anyone owning a FC installation will be setting a good password,
or a weak password with the knowledge that SSHd is running?

--
To be updated...