list of compiz/aiglx compatible cards?

Kristian Høgsberg krh at redhat.com
Mon Aug 21 16:10:00 UTC 2006

Sam Folk-Williams wrote:
> Is any one aware of a list of cards that are known to work with the compiz
> bling? For example, my radeon 7000 works enough to see the effects, but the
> right 1/4 of the monitor disappears :(. The Nvidia GeForce 440 does not work
> at all.
>
> If anyone can point me to something that'd be great

We have a list here:

   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RenderingProject/aiglx

Nvidia cards are not going to work, the open driver does not support 3d.
There's the nouveau.freedesktop.org project that's working on making this
happen, but they still have a long way to go.  As for ATI, r100 - r300 should
work, but there's an issue with maximum texture size.  We're trying to find a
way to fix this, but for now, dropping the attached drirc in /etc is a way to
work around the problem.  The locking problem for matrox cards mentioned on
the page was fixed recently and I've backported the patch to rawhide, it
should show up tomorrow - it affects the xserver and the matrox driver rpms.
That said matrox cards are still very much untested with aiglx and compiz, in
particular they seem to also have the maximum texture size problem.

cheers,
Kristian