Fwd: Mission Control

Demond dnjinc at wowway.com
Wed Aug 23 15:03:12 UTC 2006

leomon wrote:
> I agree on with Keating's comment that copying for copying sake is
> wrong, and we should do original things with Fedora. On the Other hand
> though, I think we should strive to have a better centralized
> configuration center that would allow users to easily and confidently
> configure their systems. I could get a mockup of what I personally
> think it should look like, but I would leave it open to everyone else
> to decide how it should work. (mainly I don't know how program very
> well due to lack of language knowledge) I could also compile a list of
> what user's want, and put it into the mockup and discription and
> submit it to you guys and get to work on Fedora's centralized frontend
> to the system-config-* tools.

I think the more mockups that are submitted the better.  There should be
a wiki  page to pool all the submissions or perhaps take it upstream
(gnome, KDE).  Something that work across different desktop environment
would be preferable.  However, while everyone thinks that they are the
experts at knowing what people want, I think that we should give some
weight to the studies done at http://www.betterdesktop.org.  I
personally like slab because it's functional, centralized, polished and
it's in line with what's need.  That's not to say the someone out there
can't come up with a better design.  We have to be careful not to spend
a lifetime trying to find the next best thing JUST BECAUSE someone else
came up with the current best thing.

Demond