compiz or metacity+composite

Joachim Frieben jfrieben at freesurf.fr
Thu Aug 24 10:32:21 UTC 2006

> Can't you enable the compositing features in metacity in CLI with
>
> gconftool-2 -s '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager' --type bool
> true
>
> and
>
> Section "Extensions"
> Option "Composite"
> EndSection
>
> in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as documented on the AiglxOnFedora Wiki
> page?

No, you can't. As I said: "metacity" is built -without- compositor
functionality. Setting the "gconf" does not change anything.

> BTW, what will happen when both compiz and metacity with composite
> features enabled are installed on a system?

You will simply have 2 compositing window managers between which you switch
by means of activating "desktop effects". Options that you can checkmark of
course only apply to "compiz". "metacity" compositing effects are not
supported in the user interface.
Btw, your questions had been discussed exhaustively earlier this month in
thread "Wither bling?" at:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-August/msg00362.html