Re: Is it possible to dynamize "requires" at RPM build time?

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 08:44 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
All that is different in this thread with regards too gnome is the suggestion to automaticly generate these exrtra versioned deps buildtime.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to do this in a reliable
and generic fashion except in the cases where we're helped by the
upstream library maintainers[1].

If you were to automatically do some sort of dep on, eg, 'pkg-config
--modversion gtk+-2.0', then you could end up with a newer requirement
than you really need[2]

Jeremy

[1] eg, by using symbol versioning at which point
findProvides/findRequires actually will do a requirement on the
versioned form of the library; see glibc deps

True, but this isn't needed with gtk / gnome because they don't have different versions of symbols, only new symbols, so from upstreams pov this will be extra work / worries without much gain.

[2] Right now, it would say I need gtk+ 2.10.2 for anything built
against gtk2.  Realistically, many of them would work for pre gtk+ 2.10
(as long as they're not using new gtk+ features) but they'd definitely
work with say gtk+ 2.10.1

You could use sed / awk / perl / whatever to remove the latest .x, then this might actually be a good idea for gnome/gtk. I don't think its wise to use packages build for FC-x on FC-(x-1), and besides that scenario the requires version should always match the available version I think.

Regards,

Hans