compiz problem - No window managment.

Kristian Høgsberg krh at redhat.com
Tue Aug 29 18:06:37 UTC 2006

Adam Jackson wrote:
> Naoki wrote:
>> As I reported back on the 24th compiz was failing to perform any window
>> management, meaning all windows were on one workspace and had no borders
>> and could not be altered.   Matthias Saou correctly noted that this
>> would happen if DRI was not loaded which was exactly my problem.  With
>> the latest rawhide though the problem is back but there seems to be no
>> DRI problem in this instance..
>
> It happens when you're not running gnome-window-decorator, or whatever
> it's called.

It can also happen if the compiz gconf database got screwed, which can happen
if you upgraded from something earlier than 0.0.13-0.12.20060721git.  In that
case, uninstall and then reinstall compiz.

Other than that, as Adam mentions, compiz relies on an external helper
program, gnome-window-decorator, to draw the window decorations.  The
recommended way to start compiz is to go to the System->Preferences->More
Preferences->Desktop Effects and click the big button there.  This will start
compiz the right way and set it as your default windows manager.  If that
still doesn't work for, please let us know.

Kristian