Fedora Artwork

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Aug 29 21:35:22 UTC 2006

Rahul (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) said:
> We need a team to make a decision on whether we are going to change any
> of these for Fedora Core 6. Apparently the process of who makes the
> decisions and how to go about proposing these changes to them is not
> clear or encouraging to those attempting to contribute
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2006-August/msg00222.html

Of course the process isn't clear. There isn't one!

That being said, we should probably have one. Here's a strawman.

1) The default artwork must be locked at the feature freeze, modulo
   bugfixes. Fixing an icon or two's orientation is a bugfix. Changing
   the theme or icon set is not.

   Rationale: At that point, people start making screenshots, install
   guides, release notes, etc. In fact, I believe there are FC6 documents
   already mostly frozen.

2) Any default artwork that uses the Fedora logo must be approved by
   the board, until we come up with a better policy.

   Rationale: Yay, trademarks!

For artwork to be accepted for default, it must contain:

- GDM theme
- GNOME/KDE splash
- GRUB splash
- syslinux splash
- anaconda artwork
- firstboot artwork
- RHGB splash
- screensaver lock
- (optional) GTK theme
- (optional) icon theme

You can certainly do less, but any default theme must cover
all the cases.

As for proposals, you can have mockups beforehand, but any work must be
done by the feature freeze. I suppose having volunteers to help turning
GDM themems from mockup to reality would be good.

We should define some sort of simple package for people to submit artwork
for people to try and use. Not sure what to do here.

As to who decides what is default, I suppose we have some time (because of
1) ) to define a policy.

BIll