Wishlist: remote install GUI

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 18:17:22 UTC 2006

On 8/31/06, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 17:50 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> > > VNC won't do?
> > >
> > is there a doc up on how to remtoe install via vnc? I would like to
> > give this a try on my test machine come FC6
>
> As Mike also realized, VNC isn't exactly the same thing, in that you
> can't *initiate* the install remotely.  But if you have a boot CD/DVD,
> like Jesse said, you can do the install mostly as a remote operation.
> The Installation Guide has had this information for some time; see
> Appendix A:
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc5/sn-remoteaccess-installation.html
>
> That's for FC5, but the information won't change much, if at all, for
> FC6.

Along the path of alternate install methods ... how feasible is it to
say PXE book a remtoe machine, then have the install process start on
it somehow. I am not familiar with the require technologies, but they
seem to already exist.

Would be nice if Fedora could pioneer (assuming ti doesn't alreayd
exist) the ability to put a Disk 1 into machine X, have machine X boot
to Disk 1, then have machine Y switch on and PXE boot, pulling the
necessary info from machine X and have an monitor the installtion of
machine Y from machine X via VNC (NX would be nice).

If I could afford I would open up a bounty on that.

Peace.

--
To be updated...