Wishlist: remote install GUI

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Thu Aug 31 18:23:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 08:04:57AM -0400, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 07:47:31AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > As Mike also realized, VNC isn't exactly the same thing, in that you
> > can't *initiate* the install remotely.  But if you have a boot CD/DVD,
>
> Why not?  If the box is already running, you can just copy
> isolinux/vmlinuz and isolinux/initrd.img to /boot, edit /etc/grub.conf,
> add the vnc option etc. in there, make it the default target and reboot.

To get back to what I had posted, it is easy to start a remote
install/upgrade on a running system.  What I would love to see is an
easy way to start it (scp/sftp/rsync some files, massage grub.conf,
reboot all automatically), then monitor progress without needing vnc.
(Having the option to pop up vnc to see anaconda in progress would be
cool though.)

The idea is something like this could be used to upgrade $bignum
systems at the same time.  The cool part is that all we're missing is
a) the GUI itself and b) some way to get status from anaconda
remotely.

I probably should have just sent what I typed on the wiki here, I
suppose...

Oh, and before anyone asks why I don't just demonstrate with some
code, keep in mind that this has been in the back of my mind since I
first used Ignite-UX something like 7 years ago.  Apparently it's not
that likely that I will get to it any time soon, but I thought someone
else might think the idea was interesting enough to spend some time on
it.

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/