rawhide report: 20061201 changes

Miloslav Trmac mitr at volny.cz
Fri Dec 1 21:04:11 UTC 2006

Hello,
Tomasz Kłoczko napsal(a):
>> tcsh-6.14-13
>> ------------
>> * Thu Nov 30 2006 Miloslav Trmac <mitr at redhat.com> - 6.14-13
>> - Link to ncurses instead of libtermcap
>> - Fix some rpmlint warnings
> Current ncurses patch changes:
>
> -AC_SEARCH_LIBS(tgetent, termlib termcap curses ncurses)
> +AC_SEARCH_LIBS(tgetent, ncurses)
>
> Why not:
>
> -AC_SEARCH_LIBS(tgetent, termlib termcap curses ncurses)
> +AC_SEARCH_LIBS(tgetent, ncursesw ncurses termlib termcap curses)
Because I want the build to break if something unexpected happens and
tcsh would link to termcap instead of ncurses.  Checking for a single
library is as deterministic as it gets, short of changing LIBS manually.

> or even better (after build ncurses with --with-termlib):
>
> -AC_SEARCH_LIBS(tgetent, termlib termcap curses ncurses)
> +AC_SEARCH_LIBS(tgetent, termlibw ncursesw termlib ncurses termcap
> curses)
>
> Probably last form of this fix can be submited to tcsh maintainer for
> include in dist source tree.
I don't think the upstream would want to prefer ncurses to termcap
(which is a potential behavior change) only because Fedora wants to
remove one of them.  tcsh is still used on a lot of quite old platforms,
often by "old-school" system administrators; I wouldn't at all be
surprised if some of them have hand-edited /etc/termcap with only the 5
necessary entries.
	Mirek

BTW,
> Please prepare fixes using mind not hands ;>
Do you think this increases the likelihood of receiving a technical
reply to your questions?