CPU Frequency Scaling

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Dec 4 21:57:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 03:43:40PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> So, the entire thing boils down to "I don't like the g-conf storage
> format?" (I'm honestly asking here.)

It gets some *serious* dings for transparency, yeah -- and lack of
transparency is one of the main enemies of the working sysadmin. It's kinda
telling that gconf's own /etc/gconf/2/path is just a flat file. :)

My initial comment was in response to the statement that the user experience
"we" want is to be able to tweak settings in a directory server and have
changes propagated out, specifically as opposed to human-editable
configuration files in /etc.

I don't think that's what we want at all. Ideally, we'd have *both* those
things and not have them opposed at all. However, if we can't have both,
it'd more useful to a large subset of "we" to have human-editable
configuration files in /etc *rather* than the heavy-infrastructure
machine-useful-human-difficult solution.

Call me as non-visionary as you like, but I've already got a mile-long list
of improvements that could be made to the infrastructure here, and I'm sure
that's the case at every other large organization as well.