CPU Frequency Scaling

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 03:38:39 UTC 2006

On 12/4/06, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, putting this feature in g-p-m allows the user to trivially set
> different policy on AC and on battery, and we can also do some clever
> things to try and save battery automatically.

I'm slightly concerned over the whole idea of per-user CPU scaling
policies. Should users be able to have this kind of control over the
hardware? If so, how should things work if more than one user is
logged in at once and both are running different scaling policies?

Personally I think the policy should be set globally by root, and
there should be some control over which users, if any, are allowed to
manually change the CPU speed.

n0dalus.