With GL based desktops, how relevant in screen resolution?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Dec 15 02:29:15 UTC 2006

(These aren't completely new thoughts, I've heard them discussed before,
but I thought that with the advent of a GL based desktop for Fedora it
might be interesting to have this discussion.)

How relevant is screen resolution now that my desktop is now GL based.

For example, while screen resolutions used to be important regarding the
number of pixels on the screen, I can't help but wonder why resizing a
screen should be based on pixels anymore.

For example, rather than having to pick a new resolution to make my
desktop (fonts, titlebars, etc.) look bigger or smaller, couldn't we now
just have a slider that makes the desktop appear bigger or smaller?

Another example.  (This is what got me thinking about this).  If I've
got an application that works at a particular size (say 800x600 in the
old measure) and I want it a different size, what's stopping us from
being able to proportionally re-size a window to make it smaller or
larger?  This might be useful for games, or if you want to resize a
mozilla window to make the fonts larger, but keep the layout
proportional including images.

What do people think?  Is this just madness, or are we very close to
being able to do this sort of thing.

R.

 It's much better on my side"