Warning: kernel-2.6.19-1.2877.fc7 unbootable on Itanium systems (IA-64 architecture)

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat Dec 16 14:43:34 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 02:08:51PM +0100, Émeric Maschino wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Just to inform Itanium users that kernel-2.6.19-1.2877.fc7 is unbootable on
 > my hp workstation zx6000. VolGroup00 can't be found (I've used the default
 > partitionning scheme during the installation). No problem with previous
 > kernel-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6.

Probably the changes to use libata PATA drivers instead of the old
crusty IDE drivers at a guess.  The most obvious change being
the move from /dev/hd* to /dev/sd*.  If you're using mount-by-label,
that should 'just work' though, so perhaps either the driver is
broken, or it needs a workaround in mkinitrd like the other PATA drivers
to wait for the disk nodes to appear in /dev before we go looking
for volume groups.

Do you know which IDE chipset this uses? (If you know the module
that ended up in the initrd, even better).

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk