LVM not fit for Fedora Core

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Tue Dec 26 18:16:44 UTC 2006

On Monday 25 December 2006 03:25am, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 22:29 -0700, Lamont Peterson wrote:
> > On Friday 22 December 2006 03:52pm, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 09:32 -0800, John Reiser wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > -grub- doesn't support LVM.
> > > (Same goes for xfs, reiserfs and at least 95 other file systems)
> >
> > On FC5 (this notebook):
> >
> > # ls /boot/grub/
> > default         fat_stage1_5      jfs_stage1_5    reiserfs_stage1_5
> > stage2.old
> > device.map      ffs_stage1_5      menu.lst        splash.xpm.gz
> > ufs2_stage1_5
> > device.map.old  grub.conf         menu.lst.old    stage1
> > vstafs_stage1_5
> > e2fs_stage1_5   iso9660_stage1_5  minix_stage1_5  stage2
> > xfs_stage1_5
> >
> > I see xfs and reiserfs there.  IIRC, both have been present in GRUB at
> > least as far back as RHL8.0, though xfs might not have appeared until FC2
> > (I don't remember for sure, but I think it was there earlier).
>
> I stand corrected then.
> Last time I tried using boot on xfs (back in FC3) it failed miserably.
> (root (hdx,x) failed to detect the stage 1.5)
> Never the less, it does not change what I said.
> Grub doesn't support software RAID5/6  - should I stop using them?

You are correct there, and I agree with you.  What GRUB supports has nothing
to do with what the kernel supports.  GRUB reads the kernel (vmlinuz) and
initrd into memory and punts the ball.  From that point on, GRUB support
doesn't matter.

FYI, I use reiserfs, xfs and (sometimes) ext3 for my systems' partitions, but
I always use ext3 for /boot/ (100-250MB, depending on how many distros are to
be installed).

BTW, just for the benefit of those reading this in the archives in the future,
GRUB will work when /boot/ is on top of software RAID1, but it is rarely done
as one might have to alter the /boot/grub/grub.conf (/boot/grub/menu.lst on
all other distros) to read the correct disk the first one goes out.  For
example, changing (hd0,0) to (hd1.0) throughout the file.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.