Move Evolution to Extras?

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Dec 27 18:40:03 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 27 December 2006 11:20am, David Nielsen wrote:
> ons, 27 12 2006 kl. 09:09 -0800, skrev Sean Bruno:
> > Isn't Evolution sort of, kind of, maintained by our fair friends over at
> > Novell/Suse ?  Does that have anything to do with this "Death to Evo"
> > thread?

As I understood the state of things, all (or nearly all) of the developers who
originally worked on Evolution (i.e., the Ximian guys) left it nearly 2 years
ago.  That was part of the problem, that Evolution was almost abandoned for a
while and then some other people stepped up.  I could be wrong about that,
but that's what I remember hearing.

> > The only over riding reason to _still_ use Evolution is to interface
> > directly to a MS Exchange server.

See below.

> > I happen to use it out of habit, not because it's better/worse.  I
> > perceive the mail filtering rules to be easier to configure and more
> > robust than Thunderbird, but that may be _MY_ perception.

I think that's an excellent reason for choosing which of the apps for a given
task to use.  First, does it get t he job done and if not, is there an app
then gets closer?  Next, which app is the most comfortable for me.
Personally, I like to get my work done.  Familiarity with an app let's me
work more quickly.  I don't think about, "How do I do [something] with this
app?"  I just do it.

> As much as I absolutely loath Evolution I tend to agree, the filtering
> and the way it displays threads seem much more natural than any other
> mailer I've tried. That doesn't stop the massive amount of unrelated
> suckage though, like the infamous #217567 wherein Evolution entirely
> refuses to send mail for no apparent reason or the many other quirks.
>
> Evolution currently is the best of a lot of bad choices, it would be
> nice if somewhere down the line we could find a replacement, especially
> one that didn't come bundled with all this groupware functionality all
> in one app. A simple mailer which can inter-operate with something like
> Contacts and Dates to make a nicely separated PIM suite which shares
> information would be ideal in my mind. Anything else seems to be begging
> for disaster to me, complexity breeds the kind of madness Evolution has
> become.

Sounds like KMail, KAddressBook and kdepim to me.

Of course, you meant that "Evolution currently is the best of a lot of bad
choices" for Gnome, right?

Oh, and BTW, these apps can integrate with all sorts of servers like Exchange,
Groupwise, etc.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.