Switching to ncurses

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Fri Dec 1 10:28:50 UTC 2006

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:13:55 +0100, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>
>> I'm also worried that the overall time required spent for a
>> fork may increase considerably.
>
> Why would that be? The library is shared, and Linux has been doing
> COW for ages.

COW only saves the memcpy(), you still have to do some per-page
book keeping at fork time, I suppose (*).

And if those pages are actually being written by the forked process,
it's going to cost a page fault and a memcpy().  That's why I wrote
"overall time spent for a fork".

(*) on second thought, it may actually be a per-vma thing, which would
make the nr. of pages irrelevant.  I shall study the Linux VM one day...

 \X/  http://www.develer.com/