Easy Fedora 2

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 1 21:10:04 UTC 2006

jam at zoidtechnologies.com wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 03:44:58PM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Friday 01 December 2006 15:40, Frank S. wrote:
>>> like an extra cd with all the warnings.
>> Because often times that is illegal.
>>

> a valid point-- however users want these things and if it's "too difficult"
> to get them installed and operational they will go elsewhere. like the
> original poster, I applaud the idea of sticking to the guns and not shipping
> any "grey" content, but that does *not* solve the problem for the vast
> majority of potential fedora users, and the matter needs to be addressed
> rather soon if we want to have a serious set of desktop users.

Claiming that we need to address them without providing a good way to
solve that while not compromising on our principles is not a solution.
If you have a good way to enhance the desktop experience without
including or supporting non-free software, feel free to suggest that.

Its also important to recognize that non-free software often has
practical limitations of not being ported across all the architectures
that Fedora supports and we dont have a good way to fix problems that
arise out of it.

Rahul