Eclipse on Linux Distributions eclipse.org project approved

Stefan Held obi at unixkiste.org
Sat Dec 2 22:36:20 UTC 2006

Am Donnerstag, den 30.11.2006, 17:20 -0500 schrieb Andrew Overholt:
> Hi,
>
> At EclipseCon 2006, Ben Konrath and I met Matt Ryan from Novell.  We talked
> about the general issues hurting Eclipse adoption in the Linux and FOSS
> communities.  Matt took the lead out of our conversations and along with
> “Eclipse people” from other major distros, we proposed [1] the “Eclipse on
> Linux Distributions” project at eclipse.org.

Hi Andrew. This sound really like a good plan. I use Eclipse now as a
daily basis for j2ee development work.

What sucks most ist not how Eclipse is included into the major
distributions, its the java runtime or development kit.

As now Sun has been coming forward with plans to switch java over to the
gpl are there any community plans for Fedora to include Suns Java into
the Desktop?

Why has noone ever asked Sun for a binary distribution License and
created two groups for yum which the user is up to decide wether he can
live with gcj and classpath or a traditional jdk environment?

> Last week, the project had its Creation Review [2] and it was a success!
> I’d like to see most, if not all, of the work that our group is doing —
> ChangeLog, autotools, specfile editing, packaging tools, etc. — get more
> visibility as part of this project.  We’re also looking forward to
> collaborating with developers and packagers from other distributions.
> Having this work under the eclipse.org umbrella will give it better
> exposure and hopefully help in achieving our goal of bringing Eclipse
> technology to Linux distribution users.

I am happy to see that this gets adressed now. Keep going! :)

> As usual, everyone is invited to join in our work.  We hope to see some of
> you on IRC (#fedora-java), fedora-devel-java-list at redhat.com, the upstream
> change to be linuxtools-dev at eclipse.org but that's yet to be finalized),
> etc.

Subscribing right now.

--

Stefan Held                    VI has only 2 Modes:
obi at unixkiste dot org       The first one is for beeping all the time,