Eclipse on Linux Distributions eclipse.org project approved

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Dec 2 23:41:15 UTC 2006

Stefan Held wrote:

> As now Sun has been coming forward with plans to switch java over to the
> gpl are there any community plans for Fedora to include Suns Java into
> the Desktop?

See list archives for the recent discussions. When Sun has a buildable
Free software JDK then this can be considered. The tentative timeline
for that is March 2007 and even then the JDK might be available for PPC
architecture. So alteast for the next release of Fedora we will probably
continue to only include GCJ.

> Why has noone ever asked Sun for a binary distribution License and
> created two groups for yum which the user is up to decide wether he can
> live with gcj and classpath or a traditional jdk environment?

Fedora Project wouldnt ship binary only software anyway so there was no
incentive to negotiate such a agreement. However the jpackage.org folks
already have done the work necessary and Fedora includes the
"alternatives" package which allows you to switch between GCJ and Sun
JDK. See man alternatives for details.

Rahul