CPU Frequency Scaling

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 03:03:27 UTC 2006

I run an athlon xp-m enabled laptop and have for years now.  I have gone
through all the iterations of powernowd, cpufreqd, cpuspeed.  One of the
things that has always bothered me is I have the little cpufreq-applet
on my taskbar, but I can't control the cpuspeed with it when running a
frequency daemon.  Today I was bored on the phone and right clicked on
it, went to preferences and what do I see but the option to display and
choose a scaling governor.

The kernel has had the scaling governor modules for a while now and I am
not sure why Fedora is still relying on the cpuspeed daemon by default.
If anyone in the know could answer that question I would appreciate it.

I put together some quick shell scripts to handle loading the modules
and setting a default governer.  Before I submitted an RFE, I wanted to
get some input from you all.  Attached is a tarball of the two files
needed to enable the cpu governor modules on boot and set a default
governor.

1) cpugov.modules goes in /etc/sysconfig/modules (needs to be
executable)
2) cpugov goes in /etc/sysconfig
3) tweak /etc/sysconfig/cpugov to your liking
4) chkconfig cpuspeed off

Then make sure and enable scaling governor control in your
cpufreq-applet.

Can't wait to get some feedback.

Jon