CPU Frequency Scaling

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 15:08:37 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 15:58 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> In my experience, ondemand works really well and I've not yet found
> that
> I wanted to override it. Maybe if you absolutely want the longest
> battery life and always want only the lowest frequency
> (but then again the frequency range is a tunable for ondemand anyway)

Yes, putting this feature in g-p-m allows the user to trivially set
different policy on AC and on battery, and we can also do some clever
things to try and save battery automatically.

Using ondemand rather than performance (when on battery) reduces my
power usage by a few watts on my notebook (which translates to about
another 20-30 minutes runtime for me).

On AC, the default is to run at full speed, as some people don't like
the latency of ondemand or conservative. But it's in the preferences to
keep most people happy.

Richard.