Blowfish encryption for local passwords

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Sun Dec 3 21:03:24 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

Is there a reason why fedora does not support blowfish (at least through
the various included tools, system-config-authentication etc.) for
password encryption?
 From my understanding, Blowfish provides encryption far superior to
even MD5 and there should no license problems.
Even though MD5 might seem hard-enough-to-crack, why would we stop there?

Also, it seems like supporting blowfish would not be very hard to
implement in fedora, so why don't we?

(and the unavoidable:) Other linux distros have Blowfish encryption for
passwords ;-)

Thanks

/Thomas