CPU Frequency Scaling

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Mon Dec 4 19:14:00 UTC 2006

man, 04 12 2006 kl. 12:09 -0500, skrev Matthew Miller:
> > > Who is "we" here, though?
> > Should be evident: only speaking for myself, of course, hoping to
> > influence the Fedora Project otherwise I wouldn't be posting this to the
> > development list of the Fedora Project, would I? It's a meritocracy
> > after all isn't it?
>
> No, I didn't mean that, sorry, and I definitely don't want to take the
> conversation in *that* direction.
>
> I'm just not convinced that not being able to ssh in to a server and edit
> some config files but rather have to figure out how to tweak the
> policy-daemon-of-the-month is the user experience a large segment of "we"
> wants at all. Human-editable config files are a huge strength. Using a
> policy daemon may be part of the answer, but it should be able to get its
> configuration from something that can be fixed with vi.

I disagree, first up, once we get an implementation we are happy with
there should be no reason to change the policy-daemon so that argument
is weak at best. As for human-editable config files, that has worked so
poorly for us in the past, it makes Linux painful to use, just notice
how much easier Linux got to use after we got HAL integrated. Back then
we had basically the same argument and now I don't know a single person
who would live without HAL.

In addition, no two programs have ever been able to agree on a config
file format so you need to learn every location and format regardless of
how readable they are. Given that we could either do policy based
configuration or at least unify the configuration files in one interface
(akin to Elektra - generally agreed upon as not being the best
solution). We will never get upstream to universally adopt something
like Elektra so it would mean carrying a massive delta with all that
entails of additional work and potential bugs. A policy daemon is a fine
solution to this problem and we get extra functionality to boot.

- David Nielsen