CPU Frequency Scaling

Rui Tiago Cação Matos tiagomatos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 21:45:03 UTC 2006

On Seg, 2006-12-04 at 21:10 +0100, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> If the system administrators have the choice between
> 1) writing a shell script that echo(1)s settings to files in sysfs,
> 2) writing a shell script that writes them to gconf (which is more
> complicated and not as easy to test as cat()ing sysfs files), running
> g-p-m and gconfd,

Actually someone could even write a fuse filesystem to allow tweaking
all this with your usual UNIX commands and thus grant you some sort of
legacy compatibility.

I understand that people are generally afraid of changes to working
habits etc, but we can't stop at Linux is a good UNIX clone. We must
evolve and search new possibilities, not being afraid to change 30 year
old paradigms if needed. IMHO we (free software comunity) do need more
integrated host and network level configurability at various levels:
networking, power management, users, etc. I think the work being done by
David Zeuthen and others is well headed it that direction and badly
needed.

Oh and don't come waving the windows_style_registry_is_evil flag because
of a simple reason: this is free software, anyone with the required
skills can participate in the design and the source is out there in the
open. Oh and there's no need to copy other systems. We can and should
IMO build on the concepts these other systems use that are proven to be
robust, scalable and integrated though.

Rui