CPU Frequency Scaling

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Dec 5 01:00:42 UTC 2006

HM Eng.Prowip wrote:

> mhhh ... especially for servers power does matter, power usage does not matter
> at all but that is only a economical question, i got curious here do you run
> your server really on DC or battery?

In a datacenter with more than a few thousands of servers, energy
consumption starts to matter quite a bit. And it's not just straight
energy costs - it's also energy required to keep the temperature low and
prevent the whole datacenter to boil over.

Arjan is right - it's surprising to realize that people are not thinking
about this issue a lot more.

P.S.: Heck, my own webserver is an AMD64 2600 under the table in my
living room, running 24/7. Come to think of it, I'd like to reduce the
power consumption on that system a little bit, given that it's almost
idle most of the time.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/