CPU Frequency Scaling

Kostas Georgiou k.georgiou at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Dec 5 11:43:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 03:43:40PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Matthew Miller (mattdm at mattdm.org) said:
> > I'm just not convinced that not being able to ssh in to a server and edit
> > some config files but rather have to figure out how to tweak the
> > policy-daemon-of-the-month is the user experience a large segment of "we"
> > wants at all. Human-editable config files are a huge strength. Using a
> > policy daemon may be part of the answer, but it should be able to get its
> > configuration from something that can be fixed with vi.
>
> So, the entire thing boils down to "I don't like the g-conf storage
> format?" (I'm honestly asking here.)

It is also that some of the sysadmins (including me) are scared with the
direction that the distribution seems to be taking. Some new tools seem to
focus mainly on user functionality (which isn't a bad thing) and ignore the
sysadmin side (which is bad). To us adding adding new tools that are less easy
to script or manage with something like cfengine/puppet/etc is a huge step
backwards, we don't care if users can now have a desktop applet so they can
supend/hibernate the machine, we don't want them to be able to do that anyway.

Kostas