ideal config management framework [was: CPU Frequency Scaling]

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Wed Dec 6 11:48:12 UTC 2006

Matthew Miller wrote:

> The system you're proposing seems okay enough, especially if you can get it
> to work across platforms.

Still, if a new config system should make configging things easier, it
would have to work all over the place. No apps should use other
config-methods and *swoosh*, we're windows (in the worst possible
sense). Not that I'm totally against adopting things that work fine on
other OS's, but the windows registry is a notorious mess.

Also - Think of the additional error scenarios when init is gconf'ed.
The same complexity is added for everything else that adopts a registry
based configuration engine (since that engine has to be operational for
it to work in the first place) but may not be quite as aparrent.

/Thomas