Package dependency analysis

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Dec 6 18:04:21 UTC 2006

Hey,
	Some of us were talking previously about how to make it easier to keep
down the general problem of dependency bloat - e.g. to spot when the
"core" group is pulling in packages which it shouldn't. What kind of a
tool would help?

	The workflow we thought would be best was:

  1) Pull out the list of packages and their dependencies which you're
     interested (e.g. the "core" group, the kernel and its deps, the
     "desktop" group etc.)

  2) Browse through the list of packages and identify anything that
     looks strange

  3) For any package which looks strange, look through which packages
     pull it in and see if it makes sense

	So, I've hacked up a first-cut at a tool like this:

  http://people.redhat.com/markmc/depsgraph/

	To build do e.g.:

  $> wget http://people.redhat.com/markmc/depsgraph/depsgraph-0.30.tar.bz2
  $> rpmbuild -ta depsgraph-0.30.tar.bz2
  $> rpm -Uhv /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/depsgraph-0.30-1.i386.rpm

	To use, first set up a repo with what you want to look at:

  $> mkdir test-repo && cd test-repo
  $> repotrack -r core kernel && createrepo -p .

	Then look out for anything that you wouldn't expect in the repo and do:

  $> depsgraph file:///home/markmc/trash/trepo1 python

	See the attached screenshot showing this bug:

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/203327

	Any comments?

Cheers,
Mark.