ideal config management framework [was: CPU Frequency Scaling]

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Dec 6 18:23:57 UTC 2006

Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:

> Still, if a new config system should make configging things easier, it
> would have to work all over the place. No apps should use other
> config-methods and *swoosh*, we're windows (in the worst possible
> sense). Not that I'm totally against adopting things that work fine on
> other OS's, but the windows registry is a notorious mess.

I think it's a mess for two reasons:
1. the information is structured in a highly non-intuitive way
2. the tools one can use to access and modify the registry are very
primitive

Both are easy to avoid. E.g., Elektra does a reasonable job at avoiding
reason #1.

http://elektra.sf.net/

> Also - Think of the additional error scenarios when init is gconf'ed.
> The same complexity is added for everything else that adopts a registry
> based configuration engine (since that engine has to be operational for
> it to work in the first place) but may not be quite as aparrent.

A very small part of the system might make sense to stay out of the
registry. init seems to me a likely candidate.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/