wpa and fc6/7

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 21:50:06 UTC 2006

2006/12/7, David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>:
> On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 14:31 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>

> > I had problems with it for the first 2 weeks after the release (WPA
> > would not work with my ipw3945 etc) . but what is currently on my
> > system is working great. [It was kind of interesting.. it started
> > working the day before Thanksgiving and has worked since then.]
>
> What I've found with ipw3945 is that even though you can build it
> against the in-kernel IEEE80211 stack (1.1.13), WPA doesn't work worth a
> darn.  If you build it against the latest stack (1.2.15), everything
> works quite well.  It would be real nice if Intel would get rid of the
> ipw3945d daemon - which apparently they are in the process of doing -
> just to make it so I don't have to have any hack-arounds for it.

How much difference did it make? I ended up turning off WPA on my
wireless router because the router would freeze every few hours. The
only problem I noticed on the laptop side is that it takes a long time
to acquire a network address using DHCP, and sometimes I have to tell
NetworkManager to reconnect several times.

This is using freshrpms' ipw3945, which has a small patch that (as I
understand it) sets the API version to 1.1.13 instead of 1.1.14

Regards,

--
Michel Salim
http://hircus.wordpress.com/

My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not signed.
                -- Christopher Morley