yum

nodata lsof at nodata.co.uk
Sun Dec 10 22:29:31 UTC 2006

[snip]

> Indisputable and I'm very glad that you raised the issue.
>
> > 1. The GUI
> > pup and pirut are pretty good programs but they are in some ways, a bit
> > restricting. (for lack of a better word). I think that they should have

[snip]

> I used these GUI tools for the first time this weekend and was very
> surprised to see how weak they are.

[snip]

I couldn't disagree more. Surely these GUI tools are aimed at people who
don't care how big something is, or what dependencies something has, or
any of that. Aren't they aimed at people who just "want to install a
piece of software"? Don't lets turn a simple tool for adding software
into something for people who already know about dependencies - those
people can use the ever powerful command-line for that, or another tool.

On a side note, I think even pup is overblown:

A popup appears telling a user they have new updates? Why do they need
to know? They click "Show updates". The list refreshes and they are
shown the list of updates. Why do they need to know? They click apply
updates, and a progress bar stays on screen showing the download. Why?
The downloads finish and install, the user is notified again. Why?