yum

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 00:08:53 UTC 2006

On 12/10/06, nodata <lsof at nodata.co.uk> wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > Indisputable and I'm very glad that you raised the issue.
> >
> > > 1. The GUI
> > > pup and pirut are pretty good programs but they are in some ways, a bit
> > > restricting. (for lack of a better word). I think that they should have
>
> [snip]
>

> > I used these GUI tools for the first time this weekend and was very
> > surprised to see how weak they are.
>
> [snip]
>
> I couldn't disagree more. Surely these GUI tools are aimed at people who
> don't care how big something is, or what dependencies something has, or
> any of that. Aren't they aimed at people who just "want to install a
> piece of software"? Don't lets turn a simple tool for adding software
> into something for people who already know about dependencies - those
> people can use the ever powerful command-line for that, or another tool.

I have to say, I agree with you. I've never used pirut except in
Anaconda myself, and it seems to me that the GUI is for exactly the
purpose you stated. I would hope these tools are even easier to use
than _anything_ that exists on Windows - Maybe I should give them a
try.

Besides, there is already Yumex, and KYum, right?

> On a side note, I think even pup is overblown:

On that note, when do we KDE peeps get KYum?

> A popup appears telling a user they have new updates? Why do they need
> to know?

If it didn't it would be malware.

> They click "Show updates". The list refreshes and they are
> shown the list of updates. Why do they need to know?

Again, yes...if not it would be malware.

> They click apply
> updates, and a progress bar stays on screen showing the download. Why?

Can the screen be hidden till completion?

> The downloads finish and install, the user is notified again. Why?

They might have been waiting for the download to complete so that they
could shutdown the machine.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud